10 Ways to Recharge Daily
One of the most important parts of our day is taking time to recharge. And there’s a specific line for it in your Progress Journal.
The reality is that we can’t keep spending energy. At some stage we have to recover energy. When we try to keep our high-octane focus happening all day, we eventually start to burn out. In fact, research shows that we can only maintain our peak mental capacity for 90 minutes - after that every single marker of performance declines: self control, focussed attention, problem solving, even reaction time.
So the answer is to take small breaks which allow us time to refill our performance fuel tank, so we can perform at 100% again. These only need to be short - around 10-15 minutes at a time, with maybe a longer one thrown into the day somewhere. Here are some ideas:
1. Breathe - as little as 10 breaths helps us to slow down
10 Ways To Recharge:
2. Stretch - at your desk, outside, in the lunchroom… wherever
3. Stand in the sun - sunshine is one of our natural energy rechargers
4. Go for a walk - movement is wonderful
5. Read - a book, a newspaper article…. but definitely not work
6. Music - preferably something slower and chilled, but whatever floats your boat
7. Meditation - like breathing on steroids… clear your mind
8. Chat to a friend- our brains love social interaction ….. but definitely not about work
9. Lie down with your feet up the wall - no joke. You’ll look strange but it can lower stress chemicals
10. Just sit still and notice what’s around you - sometimes called mindfulness